[Koha] Translators

Nicholas Rosasco nsr at etome.net
Thu Jul 11 00:47:34 NZST 2002

Translator volunteers....

Since people are starting to ask me for copies of the documentation for
translation purposes....
We now have a list for just translation issues
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/koha-translate
has information for subscribing to the list.

What will be going across that list is:
Docs for translation (mainly the From the K. information)

Management info
* Where to submit translations
* Rules of thumb
* new version announcements re doc.s

My thought at the moment is that before Koha will "officially" support (ie,
list a translation of either documentation or application) a language I'd
like to see at least two active translators listed on:
http://www.saas.nsw.edu.au/wiki/index.php?page=TranslationTeams
At least one participant should able to cope with the technical language of
librarians and UNIX installation.

Please be aware if you are consenting to volunteer that you will, most
likely, be asked to help the developer and support volunteers translate
questions and comments as well.  This is not likely to be a one time job.

Eventually, those languages that are officially supported will have website
space at <country code>.koha.org... currently, the only language/nation to
have that status is France (fr).  Those languages that continue to be
supported will keep those sites, those that aren't will be turned off until
the two-active-person rule is met.  I, and the other Koha project members,
care sufficiently for the user communities and reputation of open source in
general enough to not want anyone stuck with an application they can only
upgrade to a new version in the wrong language. I know this sounds mean, but
the alternative for them would be much much worse.

 Regards
Nick Rosasco
documentation (and, apparently, translations) guru, Koha