[Koha] Some question: postgres, italian, ...

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Thu Jul 4 15:33:04 NZST 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 03:03, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Chris Cormack
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > Koha was originally built and designed with PostgreSQL as its database
>
> Really?! Why leave postgres in flavour of mysql?!

Kia Ora Marco

Without getting into a database war :)
Back when we made the decision MySQL offered us some speed improvements
over PostgreSQL.
It was a long time ago, and I have since use postgres for other projects
and am very happy with its performance.

Really what would be best would be if Koha could be as database
independent as possible. Certainly this was in our minds at the
beginning. But as they say "the best laid plans of mice and men oft go
astray".

So its definitely a goal to get a system that can run with almost any
sql database in the background. Though I dont think an immediate goal.

Chris
Chris Cormack                                      chris at katipo.co.nz
Programmer                                                025 500 789
Katipo Communications                                www.katipo.co.nz