[Koha] Some question: postgres, italian, ...

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Jun 28 20:50:58 NZST 2002

Hi Marco,

Marco Gaiarin wrote:

>I'm looking for a library management software for my organization, so
>i've found koha. Interesting... ;-)))

I agree ;-)

>Some question:
>1) there's just a translation in Italian?! Can i contribute this?!

No translation in italian for instance.
In the 1.2 versions, translation is quite hard, CPU-eater to build. We
plan to use a templating system in a future version, to enable themes,
and translations.

>2) i want to use koha with postgres, but i need assurance that work
>with potgres. I've had experience with other software written for mysql
>that in theory work with pgsql but in practice all sources have to be
>rewritten. ;(

Can't say anything...

>3) In any case need to be rewritten the schema. Please, don't distribute
>the schema in mysql dump format, is not portable and are full of
>(nonstandard) SQL instruction.
>Someone have just rewritten the schema for postgres?! Basically have to
>be rewritten the KEY instances (to CREATE INDEX) and the auto_increment
>(to serial).
>Again: PG support real referential integrity (FOREIGN KEY). There's
>somewhere a E/R schema that explain referential integrity, or can i add
>referential integrity (if someone exlain me the schema?!).

The problem is mySQL does'nt support referential integrity.  Maybe in
mySQL v4 it will be better.
I don't know if so has rewritten the schema in standard SQL.

>4) I'm new to library related problem, but seems that the MARC format
>is a standard in this field. Someone know if this also rule for
>european country?!
>Before starting a big google session, if someone have some pointers...

I'm a old newbie at library related problems...
MARC is THE standard in libraries. The "problem" is that there are
numerous MARC details... In france (and in Europe I think, so in italy,
it should be the same), we use UNIMARC standard (UNIfied MARC). Don't
know any url in italian. I've only url in french ;-)
--
Paul