[Koha] schema question

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Wed May 15 16:24:16 NZST 2002

> I've got a couple of quick questions about the Koha database schema.
> (2) I don't understand the distinction between items and biblioitems

As I understand it, biblio, biblioitems, and items are sort of a
three-tier hierarchy.

Say, just for example, you have 8 copies of "Hamlet".  One is hard cover
published in, say, 1955; three are identical hard cover copies published
in 1995; and four are identical paperbacks published in 2002.

You'd have one entry in biblio for "Hamlet".  You'd have three entries
in biblioitems, one for each distinct edition/publication.  You'd have 8
entries in items, one for each distinct physical book.  (I think the
"items" table should have been named "itemcopies", but that's just my
opinion.)

> (3) How to I differentiate between children's and adult's books, between fiction and non-fiction?

Specifically, how to represent it in the database?  (Disclaimer: I'm a
computer guy, not a librarian.)   As far as I see, the primary fields we
have to work with are the Dewey number and the item type.  In reviewing
the list archives, it seems the item type indicates a collection more
than an object description, so children's vs adult's makes sense for it.

It seems common to me for libraries to have a "paperback" collection
separate from the main stacks, but also to have plenty of books in the
main stacks with paperback bindings.  I'd like something to store the
binding separately from the collection, but it looks like item type is
the only thing at the moment.  Any suggestions?  (There is a "binding"
field in the items table, which is a number, and I can't find it used
anywhere.  Anyone know what it is supposed to be for?)

Fiction is an interesting one.  Take a cartoon book like "Calvin and
Hobbes".  At one library near me it is in the fiction section with no
Dewey number, at another one it is in the non-fiction section under
741.5.  The Library of Congress lists it as 741.5, but I sure would
consider it fiction.  Is this a common problem?

- Alan