[Koha] A simple question about Class

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Apr 30 11:19:19 NZST 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 09:07:14AM +1000, Roger Buck said:
> From a galaxy far away, the wise ones wrote:
> [--snip--]
> > > It seems in acquisionting page, the dewey number can not take
> > > anything with letters. It can only take numbers. That is the
> > > reason why I ask how did this J get into
> > > http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/ dewey part?
>

> > I suspect for HLT it actually came in with their big data
> > import - but they may also use a different acquisitions module
> > to you - they use the full acquisitions within the library,
> > where as at the moment on the demo site I think it is the
> > simple acquisitions that is running.
> >
> > However it sounds like you might have found a bug between
> > the two systems - because I'd have thought you could enter
> > in the same info in both.
>
> I know it is bad manners to answer your own question - especially if you
> don't know the answer :) - but here goes attempt #1"

Ok

Here it gets tricky

What you actually see as class on the screen on the item details page is an
almagation of 3 fields.

it goes classification,dewey,subclass

Looking in the database for the above book
it has classification=J
dewey=612.82
subclass=

Hence J612.82

So for something like J612.32aa
You'd have
classification=J
dewey=612.32
subclass=aa

In the biblioitems table.
Having the dewey as a separate field allows for much faster dewey searches.
But in an attempt to remove confusion (and in fact probably creating more)
we have displayed these three fields as if they were one.

I hope this makes some sense

Chris