[Koha] Classification Confusion

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Tue Apr 9 10:10:05 NZST 2002

Hi - ah, confused?  Hardly surprising I'm sorry, I'll try to explain, and others
from HLT and Katipo please chime in when I get into a tangle myself.....

> Can anyone please clarify the difference(s) between Koha/Opac "Format",
> "Item Type", "Class" and "Group"?

GROUP:  Is an entirely "Koha" concept, brought about by the need to
describe the record/info that is the specific to a "group" of items, but not "all"
items under a biblio.  So it is the word like "biblio" that describes the middle
"tier" of information within Koha.  If you're a code reader, it is synonomous
with the "biblio-item" table.

CLASS: Is a more general classification than itemtype, used for searching.
It's "plain english"  to help people find things they way they might expect, for
example: CD, Video, Picture Book, Fiction, Non Fiction are all good
"classes".  The only "class" change you'd expect an item to make would be
to move to the "stack".

ITEMTYPE: This is the "nity gritty" classification used to distinguish items
for issuing purposes, it is not usually seen by the public, but used by Koha
to work out how long someone can borrow an item for, and what charges
may apply etc.

Examples of itemtypes include: Free CD, Pay CD, Bestseller CD, Non
Lending CD  and these would all be in the CLASS "CD".

I think that ITEMTYPE = FORMAT (which is weird but true).

If you're a small/focused library the distinction between class and itemtype
may not be particularly useful but hopefully this helps to explain how it's
used in a public library.

Cheers
Rachel