[Koha] Library card numbers, branch entry

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Mon Apr 1 22:10:36 NZST 2002

"Williams, Olwen - SAL" wrote:

> >From the spreadsheet I created a while back.
>
> It's a 7 digit number and the last "number" may be an X
>
> Let's refer to it as
>
> ABCDEFG
>
> Calculate= (4xA) + (6xB) + (3xC) + (5xD) + (2xE) + F
> G is the remainder when divided by 11, if it's 10 use X
>
> (Mutters about younger generation not understanding check digits)

OK - I think I understand what check digits are for:

Check digits are numbers that are based on a mathematical formula
devised to help detect typical data entry errors... or something like
that :^)

When Using Check Digits with koha:

Q0: What is the easiest way to allocate new koha library card numbers?

Q1: Is there a Check Digit "standard" that is generally used for library
card numbers?

Q2: Is there a list of card numbers suitable for use with Koha?

Q3: Is there a script that can be used with koha to generate a new
number on the fly when creating new members

Q4: Anything more that we need to know about using library card numbers
with koha?

Thanks,

R.