[Koha] Installation Questions

Roger Buck rog at saas.nsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 20 20:14:34 NZST 2002

[--snip--]

Chris Cormack wrote:
> > > Can you try doing a cvs update, there should be a new index.html in the
> > > acquisitions dir that should be the latest.
> > >
> > > Can you let me know if that works ok?
> >
> > OK I had to make an additional change to apache.conf for this one - the
> > new index.html includes an "exec"
> >

> Ahh yep, it fetches the data from the database.

OK - To be picky again... If I turn on +IncludesNoExec in apache.conf
and then change from...

 exec='/cgi-bin/koha/currency.pl'

to...

 include virtual="/cgi-bin/koha/currency.pl"

Everything works same but avoids using exec.

Q. Why avoid using the "exec"?

A. Looking at:

 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html#includevirtual

I get:

       The use of #include virtual is almost always prefered
       to using either #exec cgi or #exec cmd. The former
       (#include virtual) used the standard Apache sub-request
       mechanism to include files or scripts. It is much better
       tested and maintained.

       In addition, on some platforms, like Win32, and on unix
       when using suexec, you cannot pass arguments to a
       command in an exec  directive, or otherwise include
       spaces in the command. Thus, while the following will
       work under a non-suexec configuration on unix, it will
       not produce the desired result under Win32, or when
       running suexec:

       <!--#exec cmd="perl /path/to/perlscript arg1 arg2" -->

[--snip--]

> I think the problem is its trying to get the currency and budget data
> from the database .. and there is no data in the db?
> IN the currency table?
>
> Paul posted some sample data, if you whack some of that into your db.
> That should get it looking more like what you expect

OK - done... now works as expected.

Thanks,

R.