[Koha] Koha Intranet v Internet

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Mar 19 09:38:25 NZST 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 23:09, Roger Buck wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am evaluating solutions for Internet access to library resources for
> kids with special needs. The library resources are centralised (a
> functioning school library) but the users are geographically remote.
>
> The server will be hosted off site (at ISP premises to maximise
> bandwidth for Internet connectivity) and so will need to be managed via
> Internet.
>
> So far, I know next-to-nothing about library systems but have reasonable
> technical expertise with Linux and networking... and happy to put in
> some effort.
>
> Given the (very limited ;^) information above, do you think Koha might
> be suitable for our needs?

I think the OPAC part might definitely be suitable.
(http://opac.katipo.co.nz) This is tthe publicly accessible interface to
the library's catalog. Which sounds like what you are seeking to
implement?

> What is the difference between Koha Internet v intranet...?

Well the idea is librarians intreface (cataloguing, acquisitions,
circulation etc) Would sit on an intranet, since you dont want the
public to touch that area. The OPAC can sit out on the internet.

Hope this helps

Chris

--
Chris Cormack                                               Programmer
025 500 789                                  Katipo Communications Ltd