[Koha] community catalog project

jacobs jacobs at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 19 08:01:12 NZST 2002

Hi all,

I'm a volunteer librarian (and LIS grad student) at the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center Library (http://ucimc.org/library) and am looking for
an open source package that will help me with a project. I'd like to create a
community online catalog. Currently, I have 2 organizations interested and the
support of a faculty member at U. of Illinois Urbana Champaign who wants to
give her cataloging students an opportunity to do actual MARC cataloging. I've
got OpenBook software downloaded but because it's still in beta (and may never
move out of beta), I hesitate to use it for fear of losing data.

This has led me to Koha. Koha seems to have a good OPAC module, but I'd like
to know more about the database backend. Is it fully MARC supported? Does it
have a GUI input tool? Can MARC records be imported?

Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

James Jacobs

James R. Jacobs
Graduate Reference Assistant
Education/Social Science Library
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Home: 303B1 Paddock Drive
Savoy, IL 61874
(217)359-9283
jacobs at uiuc.edu
http://radicallibrarian.org
   (\
  {|||8-
   (/

"Librarians, Dusty, possess a vast store of politeness.
These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest
questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate
every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather
there is."
--Garrison Keillor, "Lives of the Cowboys"