[Koha] barcode scanners?

Simon Blake simon at katipo.co.nz
Wed Nov 14 09:59:07 NZDT 2001

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 10:29:32PM +1300, Waylon Robertson said:

> I have come to know that there are many different barcode formats. Code
> 39 is one that has been suggested to us - the theosophical society
> branch of palmerston north - and the securtary wants to register with
> the National Library of New Zealand. This will extend the barcode to 12
> alphanumbers. Will this work with Koha?

As far as I know, it'll be fine, but I'm sure Chris or Steve can speak
with more authority than I.

> Symbol Memory Phaser P460 with one or two megabytes of memory. Attaches
> to the serial port, and Windows 98 can use the serial port much like a
> keyboard for input. Im sure linux could be rigged up that way, accepting
> input from both keyboard and serial port.
>
> Question is... how?

Bear in mind that barcode input is client side, and the server doesn't
really care how you do it - it just expects characters to arrive in HTML
forms.  If you've got something on your client machine that can appear
to type into text fields in IE, then it doesn't matter how it actually
connects to the machine.  So if you're using Win98 as your browsing
platform, you're probably already sorted.  If you're using Linux, then
you're probably in for some exciting times ahead, if the barcode scanner
is anything other than the keyboard wedge style.

Cheers
Si

Simon Blake                                             simon at katipo.co.nz
Katipo Communications                                       +64 21 402 004