[Koha] Re: [Koha-devel] For the (non)coder

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Wed Nov 7 09:29:48 NZDT 2001

On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 10:22:30AM -0800, Tonnesen Steve said:

> On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Nicholas Stephen Rosasco wrote:
>
> > Is there any sort of target goal/date (I know MARC/z39.50 "completeness"
> > is coming along soon -- what a fantastic tool that is!  thanks!!!) for
> > getting a new version packaged, and are any translation issues for the
> > database for the new format expected?
>

> Regarding translation.  Despite living in a bilingual country, translation
> isn't my forte (note the use of french there.  :)
>
> Translation isn't really required for the database, it's required for the
> interface.  Ideally, every string that is displayed to the user should be
> sent to a gettext() call that looks up a translation to the user's
> preferred language, if one is available.  This is no small undertaking
> even before any translations are done.  I know that _I_ won't be doing it
> for this release.

Hi There,

This has already been done, ... Pawel Skuza has written a neat little script
that is called from apache that runs the output through gettext using the
language the user has chosen with their browser settings.
The code is in cvs at the moment, and with the preliminary testing ive done
with it was most pleasing.