[Koha] Re: marc and stuff!

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Sat May 26 09:02:17 NZST 2001

Hiya

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 12:38:45PM -0400, Nicholas Stephen Rosasco said:
> While we're (on list, at least) considering possible major-code-change
> wishlists, is there anything else :) anyone wants?
>
> Also, would anyone consider addition of a text based front end for users a
> valid item?  I know there is a text based front end for the library
> staff... but a text front end would permit use of serial terminals.

Yup this is true. I started (again) a rewrite of the text based circulation
frontend last weekend. Using slang instead of CDK and using Steve's
excellent circulation API, which is making life a ton easier.
Id really like to drop the CDK modules out of koha. As they are error prone.
Perhaps after this we might want to work on a console based opac?

> I think it may be possible to create a linux boot+install-config floppy,
> and a cheat sheet for answering questions for install, thereby getting us
> closer to a turnkey system.  Or is having a linux person on hand still a
> better idea at the moment?  Thoughts?

Id like to make the install much simpler personally.
I have no set ideas how to achieve this, so discussion on this area would be
good.
I like the idea of making koha into .deb's or .rpms to make the install
easier. We could perhaps use debconf to prompt the user for values such as
htdoc root, server name, ip etc .. to customise the installation.

Anyone else have anything to put on the wishlist?

Chris