FW: [Koha] Re: marc and stuff!

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Sat May 26 08:38:18 NZST 2001

Hi There,

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 07:19:26PM +0200, jmulford at legionaries.org said:
> Friends,
>

> O.K. Make my day (or maybe night in N.Z.) and tell me that MARC and z39.50
> standards are on the (near) future wish list. I would just LOVE for our
> university (www.upra.org) to spearhead this project here in Italy but need
> some help from our friends down under.

I think I can safely make ur morning (nz time) and say that MARC and z39.50
compatibility is pretty close to the top of the wishlist.
I personally think that internal storage is irrelevant, ie we dont need to
store the records in MARC format. As long as we can import from and export
to MARC record format.
Now I could be completely wrong, but thats the beauty of having a mailing
list like this, im sure someone will tell me straight away if I am. :-)
Either way, I think I can say that consensus that we need some kind of MARC
compatibility has been reached. And Steve Tonnessen has already done some
thinking on how to achieve it.

Ok to conclude my rambling, I think what im trying to say is MARC and z39.50
compatibility is next on the list.

Chris
025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
chris at katipo.co.nz                                          www.katipo.co.nz