[Koha] API for circulation modules

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Wed Jan 17 12:41:59 NZDT 2001

* Tonnesen Steve <tonnesen at cmsd.bc.ca> [010116 08:37]:

> I've added my API for circulation modules to the cvs repository
> (C4/Circulation/Circ2.pm), as well as my latest tk circulation interface
> (/tkperl/tkcirc) which depends on Circ2.pm.

Looking really good :-)

> Some things I know I'm still missing:
>
> Branch and printer selection
>
> I don't create a database handle in the circulation code itself.  This
> means that the subroutines in Circ2.pm must open and close a database
> handle with each call.  I don't know if this delay hurts overly much, but
> it's there.  I've been thinking that I should create the the database
> handle in the circulation code and pass it to the subroutines.  If the
> database handle isn't defined, the subroutines can always create their
> own as a fallback.

That might be the best way to do it, I know that sometimes database handlers
timeout, so if a routine depends on one being passed, and doesnt do any kind
of checking on it, it can be messy.

> My understanding of the accounting system underlying Koha is scratchy at
> best.  I just copied the accounting code from the existing interface...

Yeah mine isnt all that great either, but ill have a read through and check
if it looks like its going to seriously break things.

Thanks Steve

Chris
--
Chris Cormack                                                       Programmer
025 500 789                                          Katipo Communications Ltd