[Kete] Intro from Jo Ransom, Horowhenua Library Trust.

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Tue Jun 5 10:58:19 NZST 2007

Kia ora folks,

I am Jo Ransom, the Project Manager for Kete Horowhenua.

I thought it was about time we got this discussion list rolling now that
Kete is so far down the development track and a number of other Kete
projects are in the works. I am sending this email to anyone who has
contacted either myself or Walter at Katipo in recent months. I urge you
to please join this discussion list, and register on the blog. Kete is
an Open Source project and I'd really like to keep communication
channels open too so we are all aware of what development to the core
code is planned over the next 12 months.

To this end, maybe we could each introduce ourselves and give a brief
run down on where we are up to or what our interests and goals are with
Kete. I'd also like to arrange a get together in July if enough people
express interest.

*Jo Ransom from Horowhenua Library Trust.
*I have been project managing the development of Kete Horowhenua. We are
discovering and fixing up stray bugs still, but essentially its pretty
well finished. I am now developing the user manual; we have learnt an
awful lot in the last 3 months!

I have spent a lot of time in the last month filling out funding
applications. We have applied for a second grant form the Digital
Strategy fund, a grant from National Services Te Paerangi (Te Papa) and
just submitted an application for the 3M Award for Innovation in
Libraries. All of these may result in cash - something we need quite
urgently as we are running at a current development deficit of about
$25k. I have just set up a Paypal facility on the Kete website and
(hopefully by the end of the day!) the Kete Blog too, to make it easy to
donate to the cause.

*What next? *

The next big chunk of work to be done is to get the code available for
download and install. We plan to write and release the following over
the next 6 months or so:

1. Signoff on a stable version of the Kete Horowhenua web application.

2.a. Build the 1.0 release of Kete so that it can be downloaded from our
development site. To ensure that the product is attractive to other
communities we need to move the features in the Kete Horowhenua code
that are "HLT centric" into system preferences.

2.b. Add functionality to the Kete Horowhenua code to enable a new
installation to be configured via a web based configuration wizard, thus
enabling a unique installation of Kete. To setup up Kete currently
requires a good deal of knowledge about Kete and how it works. The
person doing the install also needs to be comfortable with locating and
editing code in configuration files by hand using a text editor. We plan
to build a web based configuration and installation wizard that assists
with field choice and selection, templates creation, topic hierarchy
structure, compulsory vs mandatory fields etc. Where possible this
wizard will make suggestions to the person doing the configuration so
that their Kete is immediately useful: how to set up baskets, offer the
option to automatically load in some sample data,etc so that it is
easier to see how Kete works.

3. Develop a theme or 'skin' to allow new Kete installations to be
customized to establish its own look and feel, reflecting the culture or
style of its parent organisation, and differing in appearance from other
Kete.  Kete users need to be able to 'brand' their installation of Kete
so that it reflects their corporate image or style, developing a
customisable 'look'.

4. Create and support an online community of users and developers to
support the Kete software. A new website, www.kete.net.nz, will be
established as the portal to a number of tools that will enable members
of the Kete community to communicate with each other, and keep up to
date with development progress. These will include a mailing list, bug
tracker, changeset view and log and a code repository.

5.         Facilitate easy import of data and images from Past Perfect,
providing seed content and enabling regular additions of new content.
Past Perfect is a museum collection management system used throughout
New Zealand. Much of the seed content for Kete Horowhenua has come from
the Past Perfect databases of Foxton and Horowhenua Historical
Societies. It is the content that makes Kete Horowhenua 'zing' and
having a solid body of quality content for new Kete users to 'play' with
is very important. A set of custom scripts were written to extract this
data and used it to populate Kete Horowhenua. The scripts went through
and created not only Items, but also Topics and the linking of Items
together. An Import Assistant will be written that is web based and will
step a Kete administrator through the process of extracting their data
from Past Perfect and importing it into their Kete installation.

So, that's me and what we're up to. I'd really like to hear what other
people are up to!

Cheers Jo.