[Koha] Overdue lists

David Nind david at davidnind.com
Sun Oct 29 18:49:44 NZDT 2023

Hi Angela.

It is possible, it just depends on how you have currently set things up,
and how you are planning to do things.

Are you using the standard overdue reports, or do you have a custom SQL
report that is run regularly?

Standard overdue reports
----------------------------------

There are standard overdue reports available in the staff interface (Staff
interface > Circulation > Overdues section > Overdues + Overdues with fines
> then select the fields to filter the results).

If you are using these reports, then separating out overdue items for
children should be relatively easy - depending on how you plan to do
things, for example having a patron category for children or item types
specifically for children books.

For example, a public library might have:
- different patron categories for adult and child patrons (there may be a
limit on the number of items that they can have out at once)
- different item types for materials you have (for example: Books,
Magazines, DVDs, Reference, Music, etc; and rental fees if you have these
for some items)
- circulation and fine rules (for example: items issued for 3 weeks, no
fines, etc)

As you are a small library, I'm assuming these are all pretty straight
forward (famous last words!).

Custom SQL report
--------------------------

If you are using a custom report in Koha, it should be possible to adapt it
to do what you want.

It will depend a little on how your Koha system is set up (including the
patron categories and item types that you use).

If you are using a custom SQL report already set up for you, I would
suggest sharing:
1. The SQL for the report you currently use (Staff interface > Use saved >
for the report you currently use, select Edit from the Action column). That
would give everyone a better idea of how things are set up.
2. The patron category codes you use (Staff interface > Administration >
Patrons and circulation > Patron categories) - some assumptions here:
     - you are going to use a separate category for children patrons
     - you currently have patron categories for adult patrons
3. Some basic information on how you categorise and organise things, and
mange circulation and following up overdue items. For example, patrons each
have an account on the system and a card number, the item types you use,
how you issue your items, how you follow up on overdue items (for example,
ringing), and so on. The existing report will probably give us some of this
information.
4. The version of Koha you are using (Staff interface > About Koha > Server
information tab > Koha version) - the database structure can change between
versions.

My SQL skills are pretty basic, but hopefully someone on the list can help.

Other questions

If none of this makes sense, feel free to ask any other questions!

David Nind
Oamaru
New Zealand