[Koha] Can't send email from koha

David Nind david at davidnind.com
Fri Oct 13 20:42:16 NZDT 2023

You need to ensure that the MTA (Message Transport Agent) you are using on
your server to send email is configured and working correctly. There are
many MTAs, such as Postfix, Sendmail, Exim4. There are plenty of tutorials
and guides on the internet, but these are not specific in any way to Koha.

I don't know anything about MTAs myself, and these days sending email can
be "complicated"...

If your MTA is working - that is, you can successfully send external email
from the server (for example, from the server command line) - then in Koha
you need to ensure:
- you have emails in the system preferences configured, including
KohaAdminEmailAddress and ReplyTo
- your patrons have email addresses
- email is enabled for your Koha instance: koha-email-enable
yourinstancename
- the cronjob to process emails is set up and running: emails are added to
the message_queue table in the database and are sent when the
process_message_queue.pl cronjob is run (perl misc/cronjobs/
process_message_queue.pl)

I hope this helps a little. Hopefully, someone with experience in this can
comment.

Normally logs are easy to read if you have the right permissions, as they
are just text files. Do you have enough disk space on the volume your logs
are on? (df -h /)

David Nind
New Zealand