[Koha] Circulating non-specific items

Caroline Cyr La Rose caroline.cyr-la-rose at inlibro.com
Thu Mar 16 08:49:00 NZDT 2023

Hello everyone!

I need to pick the collective brain about a question I received from one
of our libraries.

They are a toy/game library. For games and books, they circulate items
normally. However, they have some toys in many copies and they don't
need to or want to have a specific barcode for each copy of a particular
toy. They gave me the example of dinosaur figurines. They have 60+
dinosaur figurines, but they don't need to know that *this exact*
dinosaur figurine went home with this patron. They just need to know
that *a* dinosaur figurine went home with this patron. They want to
avoid having barcodes for each dinosaur.

Right now, they manage this in a spreadsheet, but would like to manage
it in Koha with the rest of their inventory.

Do any of you have a similar situation? If so how do you manage those items?

Thank you so much!

Caroline Cyr-La-Rose, M.L.I.S.
Librarian | Product Manager

1-833-INLIBRO (465-4276), ext. 221