[Koha] Can the Koha Mailing List and DMARC become friends?

David Liddle david at liddles.net
Sat Mar 11 03:24:53 NZDT 2023

Hello! I'm going to state up front that I'm no expert in Discourse.
I've only just registered on the Discourse Meta site so that I can get
a look at its message formats. That done, I'm going to give my best
shot at answering your questions:

1. Can you clarify in which sense you mean "offline use"? Some people
describe themselves as offline when they don't have a web browser open
but are still very much connected to the internet. For others, it just
means that they're not logged in to the specific site or service in
question. Then there are the people who are fully offline, making only
occasional connections to the internet to collect mail by POP.
2. Systems such as Discourse are typically configured to send from a
single address on their own verified domain. A message from Discourse
Meta comes from the address "notifications at meta.discoursemail.com",
and the reply-to address is a "plus address" on that domain which
contains a string referring to the discussion thread.
3. With "Mailing list mode" enabled in my preferences, the message
received contains the poster's handle and, if applicable, the message
to which the poster is responding and its author's handle. However, it
seems the Discourse Meta site generally suppresses the display of
subscribers' email addresses and disables private messaging. So at
least one aspect of their configuration makes it difficult to draw
comparisons. The important aspect is that a person can reply to the
topic by email and have that response shared with the wider audience.
4. With the "Activity Summary" (periodic digest) activated, the
messages come from the same address. All post references and links
lead to the site itself. There was no clear way to reply to an
individual post by email.

Again, a platform change is just something to consider. If there's no
critical mass of people reporting that the communications platforms
are insufficient or unsatisfying, then it's not worth discussing or
pursuing. I just know for a fact that messages are not getting
delivered to some subscribers because of address spoofing. The list
will have to deal with that sooner or later, in one fashion or
another.

Regards,

David Liddle
IT Manager