[Koha] Server edition or Desktop edition

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Dec 29 19:25:25 NZDT 2010

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010, kazi noman wrote:

> Dear Koha Community,
>
> Which one should I prefer for koha installation?
>
> Either Ubuntu server 9.04 and later version edition  OR  desktop edition of any
> ubuntu version esp 9.10 or later

they will both work, the difference is in what they include by default.
the server edition is more stripped down and doesn't include a lot of
desktop things. For someone with unix/linux experiance, the server edition
is the best (it will give you better peak performance as it won't have as
much unnessary stuff installed and eating up ram)

however, since you are asking the question, you are probably better off
using a desktop version for your first insallation. The various tools that
are available with nice GUI interfaces will make it easier to get started
(and easier for other people who use the desktop edition to help you)

make an effort to learn how to do everything from a command line after you
get it working from the GUI.

Then in a year or so when you are ready to upgrade, think about how much
you depend on the GUI still, and at the load on your system, and decide if
you are ready to do a server build (you can convert a server build to a
desktop build pretty easily, so if you find you aren't ready you don't
need to rebuild the system)

> what about Debian and OpenSuse and Redhat Linux

Koha will run on any of them, the question is just a matter of support. If
you are paying for support from a library vendor, use what that team
prefers. If you want to pay for commercial support for your OS, RedHat
Enterpriseand SuSE (not OpenSuSE or Fedora) are your choices.