[Koha] newbie needs help importing records

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sun Dec 19 10:05:38 NZDT 2010

On 19 December 2010 09:18, Shelley & Kurt Kemperman
<ksckemperman at chartermi.net> wrote:
> We have just downloaded and installed koha for use in our small
> Catholic school library.  We have no current computer records for our
> books (about 4000 items).  I am not a techie or a librarian, but am
> trying to get this set up.  I could really use some help in how to
> start importing MARC records via a z39.50 server.  I am lost in all of
> the manual directions about MARC identifier fields, etc.  In my
> perfect world, I would like to take a book off of the shelf, search by
> title in the Library of Congress or other database, import the MARC
> record, stick a bar code sticker in the book and scan it.  Can anyone
> help me access some basic  directions for this or get me started?

Hi Shelley

While this doesn't address your question, I do recommend reading
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Category:Documentation/newbieguide

Brooke is still working on it, but what is there is a great introduction.

Now as to your copy cataloguing question, yep you can do that, and as
someone who is probably as confused by MARC as you, thats how I do it
too.

Go to cataloguing (or cataloging as you u hating people spell it :-))
instead of clicking on add new record, just click on the z3950 search
button. This will open a popup window with a form in it. Fill in the
isbn number then hit search. If you are lucky you will get back at
least one result, which you can then import.

Nicole explains it better in the manual
http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=c7917#AEN7923
(skip past the add new record bit to the z3950 search bit)

If you have no z3950 servers set up as targets you can read how to do that here
http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-2-manual/?ch=x5040#AEN5065

Hope thats some help, excuse any typos please, .. typed with a
sleeping 2 year old on my lap.

Chris