[Koha] how to download debian server edition

Martin Renvoize martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com
Wed Dec 1 00:14:49 NZDT 2010

This isn't an especially Koha specific question, but...

Debian is debian as far as I understand. There isn't a server
specific distribution of it, you simply choose the bits you want to install
during setup. (I'd imagine, by server you mean no desktop environment
while running mysql, apache2 etc).

There's hundreds of Debian mirrors out there, and many methods of install.
 Personally, I use a Net install which I find to be pretty reliable and easy
with the following steps;

   1. Download the correct version of Debian for your hardware (probably
   i386 for most common 32bit processors) from the "small CD's" section of ;
   http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
   2. Burn that image to CD
   3. Stick it in the computer you want to be a server
   4. Follow the Setup wizard selecting only the components you want in the
   final step (beware, Desktop Environment is usual auto selected, un-select it
   if you want a server without the graphical interface)
   5. Look at your shiny new server installation... cursor quietly blinking
   at you.

--
Martin Renvoize
Software Developer, PTFS Europe Ltd