[Koha] Help with item types in OPAC display

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Wed Oct 21 03:33:41 NZDT 2009

>> In order to have our item types display correctly in the OPAC, we have to
>> create leader/007/008 fields that map to the appropriate OPAC icons.

> The Koha OPAC item type come from tag 952$y. Item types can be created
> via the admin screens and the corresponding  item type codes should be
> present in 952$y.

There are actually two different things being discussed here. Item
types can have icons associated with them via the Item Types
administration screen, but those are free-form categories for the
library to determine.

The icons associated with material type are displayed if you have the
XSLT display options enabled (XSLTDetailsDisplay and
XSLTResultsDisplay). The icons are defined in the XSL files themselves
(opac-tmpl/prog/en/xslt, for example), so without editing those files
you don't have any flexibility about which icons are displayed beyond
your ability to define whether the title is a Book, Music, Computer
File, etc.

I hope someone who is more of a MARC expert can chime in if I got that wrong.

 -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries