[Koha] Koha demo links on koha.org

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Sat Oct 10 01:18:45 NZDT 2009

> LEK is more recently Koha based which should make integration of LEK
> into Koha fairly easy at the present time.

...although that is purely speculation at this point. LibLime has not
responded to my questions about database changes in their version.

> LibLime obviously wants the
> association with the Koha name and that at least should be used as an
> inducement for them to participate in the community.

Unfortunately I think LibLime wants the association with the Koha name
because it lends them a credibility they are rapidly losing on other
fronts.

> I have always thought that the English demonstration should have been
> hosted on the community website without any subtle advertising.  Failing
> to correct the issue in the past has become a small problem for the image
> of Koha as free software which is not dependent upon any particular
> company.

This is easy enough to say, but as you can see from the difficulty in
setting up a Koha Foundation, harder to accomplish in reality. Who
would have hosted this community website? Who would have owned the
domain name? There wasn't, and still isn't, any entity which could
have accomplished this.

What I'm asking of LibLime is something that they would ask of any
other Koha support company: Don't advertise a proprietary version on
the community site. Does anyone believe LibLime would have allowed
other companies to even post *news* about their own proprietary
versions of Koha?

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer