[Koha] MARC 21 framework versus UNIMARC

Nicolas Morin nicolas.morin at biblibre.com
Tue May 19 18:47:25 NZST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Nicole Engard
<nicole.engard at liblime.com> wrote:
> But if I'm understanding correctly, changing the flavor isn't enough
> to actually make the change - you also have to change the install.

My understanding (but I might be wrong here : can someone please
confirm?) is that one could, theoretically, install in unimarc, then
create a marc21 framework from scratch, then change the settings of
zebra to reflect this. But there seems to be some stuff in Koha that
relies on the default framework (not sure what precisely it is), so
while it's theoretically possible, i think, to change the marcflavour,
i don't think it's really doable in practice. I wonder if this could
be considered a bug/enhancement request : that Koha b truly agnostic
to the format, be it unimarc / marc21 or, for that matter, plain DC,
EAD, WhatEver?
Nicolas

> ---
>
> Nicole C. Engard
> Open Source Evangelist, LibLime
> (888) Koha ILS (564-2457) ext. 714
> nce at liblime.com
> AIM/Y!/Skype: nengard
>
> http://liblime.com
> http://blogs.liblime.com/open-sesame/
>

> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Galen Charlton
> <galen.charlton at liblime.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Nicole Engard
>> <nicole.engard at liblime.com> wrote:
>>> But should I add more to the manual to explain that this is not all
>>> you have to change to change your marc flavor?
>>
>> Yes.  Changing the MARC flavor is something that should only be rarely
>> needed in a production system, although it can be necessary when
>> somebody is trying out Koha and may not already know the MARC format
>> to use.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Galen
>> --