[Koha] no result for search books

Repke de Vries repke at xs4all.nl
Tue May 19 09:42:09 NZST 2009

dear Nicole,  dear Zahid

(my remarks also relate to "how to run zebra deamon" from earlier
today where Nicole added the same advice):

with an ordinary Koha installation everything is set but as per
Nicole's advice needs the rebuild-zebra (see the FAQ she points to)
on a regular basis to bring the wheels in motion.
What rebuild-zebra does is taking a copy of  all the new or changed
bibliographic or authority records in your Koha database and have
them indexed by Zebra for searching. The moment the index is done,
you can search.  Rebuild-zebra also checks if records were deleted
and removes them from the index.

HOWEVER: there must be a mistake in the FAQ because the parameter -r
is *not* correct for hourly or every minute automatic running (this
is what a cronjob does) of rebuild-zebra.
It should be -z.   And -a is for re-indexing authority records and -b
for the biblio records. So: -a -b -z
This is what happens with -z: rebuild-zebra *first* checks in a
special table in your Koha database (called: zebraqueque) which
records were added, changed or deleted and then only copies / notices
these and re-indexes.
This is what happens with -r:  the index is "reset" and *all* your
records are copied from the Koha database for building a complete new
index: could be thousands and thousands of them.
Imagine you start this "-r"  from scratch every minute in an
automated way:  bad news for your Koha performance.

Correct me if I am wrong but this what we found out the hard way.

Yours, Repke de Vries

Op 18-mei-2009, om 13:15 heeft Nicole Engard het volgende geschreven: