[Koha] Authorities difficulties

Ondrej Mlecka omlecka at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:36:43 NZST 2009

Hi all,

I would like to ask two questions on cataloguing with authorities.

1. The first one regards the MergeAuthoritiesOnUpdate function.
I have a Personal Name Authority (for ex. "Givord, Robert"), and I use it in
bibliogr. records in 700 field (always MARC21), once as translator (700$e -
relator term - "tr."), once as author of foreword (700$e:"pref.") etc. When
I change the name in Authorities (for example because I add a date of the
death, or there is a mistake in the name) and I have the
MergeAuthoritiesOnUpdate preferrence ON, it deletes all the relator terms in
the bibliogr. records. Is there any way how to update bibliogr. records
without deleting the contents of all the 700$e subfields?
Obviously, I could have a special authority for Robert Givord as translator,
another one for R.G. as author of the foreword etc., but this doesn't seem
to me to be a good solution.

2. The second question regards cataloging bibl. records. I want to catalogue
a book with a name of a translator. So I choose the name from authorities
and I want to add 700$e subfield. For this, I need to add a comma at the end
of previous subfield, so as to have, for ex. 700 1# $aGivord,
Robert[comma]$etr. But the MARC editor doesn't allow any change in 700$a
subfield.
I could turn the *BiblioAddsAuthorities preference ON*, so as to allow the
input in 700$a field, but this would create automatically one authority for
the person as a translator, another one as an author of a foreword etc.

Would anyone know how to resolve these problems?

Thank you very much

Ondrej Mlecka
Rome