[Koha] Circulation rules bound to Marc record

Nelson Fredsell nfredsell at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 11 19:01:06 NZST 2009

Hello all,

Our libraries have different circulation rules regarding a different number
of renewals allowed.  I believe 3 renewals is standard.  However one library
allows books to be checked out for 8 weeks, with a single renewal allowed
for 4 weeks.  This seems to present two problems:

1)      Because number of renewals is bound to the Marc record (942 Item
type), all libraries must have the same number  of renewals, or multiple
copies of same holding must be assigned to multiple Marc records.  Please
tell me there's a third option!

2)      Renewals must be for the same time period as the initial checkout
period?

3)      Holdings must be checked out for a particular number of days,
apparently, and not according to a calendar system.  eg. books checked out
on 1 Feb must be returned by/before 1 March.

Thanks very much.  My main concern is #1 above, as one of the great benefits
of a union catalogue I imagined was to assign multiple items to the same
record across multiple libraries, but there was good reason for the 8 week/4
week rule.  (To complicate matters further, this same library has a second
set of circulation rules available upon request: 6 month checkout for
intensive study purposes!  Also, a school library might allow staff to keep
books out for a longer initial period, but not allow the standard number of
renewals on that longer period.)

Take care,

Nelson

implementing a union catalogue