[Koha] I'm confused about where normal view customization occurs

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Sat Feb 21 11:18:40 NZDT 2009

Thanks Joe, I'll look at the HTML::Template perldoc.  By your reply I surmise that this takes a code modification and there is no way to do it from the admin pages.

Regarding the copy prog stuff, I was doing that in an effort to use the "opactheme" option.  Copy the default theme, rename it, then make minor modifications to the copy and point a second database at that theme rather than the default.  It didn't work, I put in a bug report (#2774) to which Owen commented "There are a LOT of instances in templates and code where the "prog" theme is hardcoded."  So I abandoned that avenue.  With xsl on for one DB and off for the other, I was able to customize the detail page the xsl version uses and leave the other alone.  With the exception of those changes, the rest of my customizations are simple ones that can be pointed to from the System Preferences - different color.css files, simple changes in the header via html in the right place in system preferences.  Because of that I haven't been using git.  My notes about the install make me think that I thought it was going to remove aptitude in favor of it.  As I was using aptitude to look for perl packages as well as others, I said no to installing git.  Perhaps I misunderstood something there.

This is my first time using Linux and Perl on a production system, so I am learning those as I go.  It is not my intention to do any major modifications in the Perl code, but I can tweak where necessary to get things looking the way our librarian would like them to.  Is there a reference on git you can point me to?  Or can you tell me how it is used in Koha development?  I am completely in the dark regarding it.

Thanks,

Doug

>>> Joe Atzberger <ohiocore at gmail.com> 2/20/2009 11:24:53 AM >>>
Like any page, you can add TMPL_VAR's to the template, and add to the script
that populates it.  It sounds like you should refer to the HTML::Template
perldoc to see how it operates.

The XSL solution is a lot slicker if you can manage it, but that only
applies for the OPAC (when enabled).

I'm not sure what approach you are taking by copying prog, but then using a
"second database" on it.  Copying prog is pretty drastic and is sure to cut
off your developments from mainline updates.  If you use git to control your
code, then you wouldn't need to copy everything (since you could always
revert to the mainline version if it got messed up), and you could still
pull down updates.

--Joe