[Koha] Old Barcodes - Location Data and Checksum

Jochum van der Heide jochum.vanderheide at lifehope.om.org
Wed Sep 3 00:18:09 NZST 2008

Hi Nathan,

Nathan McNew wrote the following on 11/06/2008 23:18:
> Joshua Ferraro-3 wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 Nathan McNew <agreatnate at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> My library is migrating to koha from Winnebago.  I have used
>>> bulkmarcimport.pl to import our entire collection into koha, which looks
>>> have been successfull.  I am running into trouble scanning in the
>>> barcodes
>>> on our books however, because winnebago stored only the 5 digit material
>>> number in the 852p barcode field, but the barcodes on the books contain
>>> much
>>> more information, in what I understand to be the codabar format.
>>>
>>> After the import, Koha now has for instance that a book's barcode is
>>> 12345;
>>> But the barcode on the book, which we would like to keep is
>>> 3055500012345x,
>>> where 3 means it is a book, 0555 is our location code and x is a check
>>> digit.  In the old software typing in either the short version, 12345, or
>>> the long version 3055500012345x, would get the same results.  Koha works
>>> fine with the short version, but reports an invalid barcode if you use
>>> the
>>> barcode scanner to scan in the book, since it is in the long format.  Is
>>> there any way to get koha to interpret these barcodes correctly?
 >>>
>> Yes, there is ... and it's a system preference, barcode input filter
>> or something
>> like that. One of the options is 'codabar'. Hope that helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Joshua Ferraro
 >
> I can't find any reference to a barcode input filter in 2.2.9, the version of
> the software we're using.  Looking at liblime's 3.0 demo, there is an
> ItemBarcodeFilter option, but the possible choices are whitespace, T-prefix
> and cuecat.  Is there a way to do this in 2.2.9, or if we upgraded to 3.0
> would one of these choices correctly manipulate codabar?
>
> Nathan McNew

We have the same problem here you've been describing in your email some
months ago. Our books have a long 11 digit barcode but only 4 were stored
in our old system. A barcode looks similar to yours, like I1025059820
where the first digit I is used for books or B for patrons, the following
4 digits are the same for everything and the last digit must be a check digit.

We're running Koha 3 and as you say only have the choices "whitespace",
"T-prefix" and "cuecat".

Did you get this to work eventually?

Cheers,

-Jochum