[Koha] mysql password

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Tue Jul 1 21:57:04 NZST 2008

Hi ils,

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008, ils rehoboth <rehoboth_ils at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am trying koha installing on ubuntu 6.06.
> i am still green in mysql and will be grateful if somebody can guide me step
> by step on how to set mysql password.
> i am trying "mysqladmin -u password your-new-password" (replacing
> "your-new-password" with my password but nothing seems to happen).

Your mysqladmin command is using a wrong syntax. Basically, you're
forgetting to name the user that you're setting a password for.

Are you trying to set the password for the "root" MySQL user? If you
are, you should be typing this command instead:

# mysqladmin -u root password 'chosenpassword'

(Note that I typed "root" - without the quotes - after the -u switch.
Replace chosenpassword by your password, but you may leave the single
quotes around the password).

If you get the following output:
________________________
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'
________________________

... then, you have probably already set a password for the MySQL root
user. If you know what password you were trying to set, enter the
mysql prompt with the following command:

# mysql -p

... and, when prompted, enter the password that you think you have set.

If this gives you a "mysql>" prompt, but you want to change the
password to something else, then type "quit" to leave the mysql prompt
(and to return to the shell prompt) and type:

# mysqladmin -u root password 'somenewpassword -p

(replace somenewpassword by the new password that you want to set).

When you get prompted for a password, enter the password "that worked"
when you typed the  mysql -p  command.

I recommend that you read:

MySQL ::   MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual :: 4.5.2 mysqladmin — Client for
Administering a MySQL Server
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqladmin.html

... particularly the section that reads "password new-password".

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net