[Koha] Thumnail images in catalog search results? (Was: details automatically from the internet)

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Wed Jan 16 19:43:42 NZDT 2008

Wednesday, January 16, 2008      00:38 CDT

Hi, Joshua, Fred, et al.,

Sorry for taking so long to chime in on this, but years and versions ago, Stephen Hedges sent me an example of what would need to be changed to have one's own image bank (the issue I had mentioned at the time was the fact that Amazon cycles through what images it keeps currently available, which kind of defeats patrons' expectations of always being able to see the cover).

I don't know how applicable it would be to the current state of the coding, and Lord knows I don't know if the message containing it has survived the multiple traumas my computer has suffered since then, but if there is still interest, I am more than willing to spend some time looking for it.

Anyone interested can let me know either on the listserv or off and I'll get to it pronto.

BTW, I know the Mandarin system works in the way that Joshua explained: in the options for set-up there is a radio button menu to allow the library manager to choose whether an image will be linked to ISBN or to another field. It seems best to me to make use of an arbitrary non-used linking field so that one can set up one's own number. That way, items without ISBNs could be made to display something (now or in the future, as one chooses) e.g. CDs, websites. Items with ISBNs could have their numbers copied over into the linking field using a utility like MARCEdit, etc. to make such global changes easier.

Very excited about the new release, Joshua. Congratulations to you and all the programmers and developpers who've made this great step forward possible!

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large,
Koha neophyte