[Koha] beginners question

Marty Jongepier bluejaydesign at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 29 10:54:59 NZST 2007

Hi Ross,

If you want a cheap LEGAL setup, forget Windows.
I did not know anything about Linux and currently have 2 systems running.
I ordered CD's for the initial setup (look on ebay, for a few bucks you can
have more Os's than you'll ever need).
I found it easier to use CD's. I used Debian because they are rather
conservative, which means very stable and not too often needed to upgrade.
Installing packages is very easy with deb
And very easy to upgrade. But it's up to you. There are many good
distributions.

This group has been a great help, and the internet for more general
questions.

As for your questions about perl, mysql and apache:
You do not really need to know a lot about them. Knowledge about mysql is
handy, but not necessary.
I still know Nothing about perl. And it doesn't seem to affect anything in
anyway.
The only thing I know about Apache is what I read in the instructions for
installing Koha. And wonder of wonders, it runs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Marty