[Koha] Koha (intranet) Z39.50 search window stops without
japple at verity.iblp.org
Fri Oct 28 18:58:36 NZDT 2005
I'm a linux guy, been using and abusing it for at least 5 years, and
I started volunteering as an IT guy to help out an organization with
some of their tech needs. They needed a better solution for the small
library (~3000 books) that they had, which was running a windows based
library solution on an old desktop. It wasn't doing everything they
wanted, but if they could get better, they said they'd run a *nix based
Well, one of the video editor for the organization had stumbled
across Koha, and thought it might work, only he had no experience in
linux. So I got them to let me upgrade a box, put Fedora Core 4 on it
(tried Ubuntu 5.10 but it didn't like the hardware), followed the
kohadocs.org prep intructions, and then installed Koha 2.2.4. It works
wonderfully except for two things:
One, I get an Internal Server Error whenever a user logs in and
"Request"s a book from the search page. However, that can be lived with
Two, and the real problem is that over half the books are being
cataloged, and the librarian doesn't want to have to enter all of the
information. So I found out about Koha's z3950, and tried to run it. I
started up the z3950-daemonlaunch.sh in rc.local, and it does just fine,
runs like a charm with no errors. I tail the log file in
/usr/local/koha/log/z3950*-##########.log, and when we try to add a
biblio, it searches for, and find the records from LOC and several other
servers, including Canada's national library server. The log lists that
up to 80 possible records have been found for one search.
However, the popup window will never display the results. Even though
the log file tells that results were found, the popup will stop
refreshing, display the final window that should have the records found,
and say "Nothing found".
I have searched the koha mailing lists for a good several days now,
the Net::z3950 module information sites, and gone through the
newsgroups. It tried:
- a modification that needed to be made to
/usr/local/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/search.pl, according to the gmame list,
- editing the z3950 client files,
- a "upgrade" reinstall of koha, just to make sure
- I temporarily disabled the local firewall for the library server just
to make sure it isn't the firewall, and
- I have tried every thing else on this list that I can find that
applies to 2.2.4, that hasn't already been added to it.
- I even tried running the proceszz3950(sp?) script as a final test
just to make sure it didn't run correctly.
- I have checked the error logs for any errors occurring at the time of
the search: there are none, just some related to my first mentioned problem.
- I have made sure that Z39.50 searches are conducted with the title
and the ISBN.
Here is my configuration:
- PIII 1Ghz
- 256 MB Ram
- Perl 5.8.6
- all Perl modules recommended by kohadocs.org installation manual,
- installed perl Bundle::KohaSupprt, just to make sure.
- PERL5LIB is set to correct directory and all modules are seen by
perl so far,
- Apache 2.0.54,
- MySQL 4.1.11,
- gateway ipf is set to allow all connections and
related/established connections for this computer on main firewall, and
- local iptables set to allow all connections for the z3950 servers.
I've been banging my head against the wall for days, and the librarian
is getting a little frustrated. I'd like to keep koha and linux, if I
can, but if I can't get the z3950 search to work like it did on the old
software, then they may go back to the old software and Windows 98.
<look-of-horror>. What's worse is that I can manually connect with Yaz
to search for results and I can retrieve them, so I know it's something
to do with the interaction of the Z3950 client and the popup window.
Thanks for all of your help.
Koha mailing list
Koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
More information about the Koha