[Koha] development of MARC functionality

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Sun Jun 12 06:47:52 NZST 2005

kim at secondhandknowledge.net a écrit :
> Hi all, I've been reading your notes about the future development of Koha, and it sounds pretty
> exciting.  You've thought of some very nice features to add.

Hi kim,

1st, my opinion is that this mail would be on a better place in
koha-devel mailing list.

> I see that some people's duties are changing, and I'm wondering who are the key people working on
> MARC improvements, and if more details about the roadmap for the MARC portions of Koha is posted
> somewhere?

I was the MARC guy until now. Not sure it i'll stay, but I agree if asked.

> Stop me if you know this already, but I think that since the MARC structure has so much
> functionality already built into it, why not take advantage of that?  For example, using the
> indicators to help with indexing will solve the display sorting problem with titles that start with
> "The".  Using the leader/fixed fields for item types, is another example of using fields already
> built into the MARC record.

There is 1 thing you're missing : one of the major goal we have is to be
any-MARC compliant. So Koha must work with UNIMARC as well as MARC21.
And indicators are marc-flavour specific. So your idea is good, but not
so easy to code.

> And, of course, the multiple subject headings issue needs to be resolved.

could you explain a little bit more what you're speaking of ?

> I am stuck in my implementation of Koha because, although there is the ability to assign call
> numbers at the item level, the opac display (except for MARC view) is that of the bib level call
> number.
You should probably enter a bug in bugzilla, it should not be too hard
to fix.
--
Paul POULAIN