[Koha] [Koha-devel] needed help in koha cataloguing module

David Nind david at davidnind.com
Fri Sep 1 09:59:33 NZST 2023

Hi Zahid.

>From my limited knowledge, I think using setting up MARC overlay rules is
what you would need to do.

Happy for anyone who has setup these types of rules to comment on whether
this is the best way to do what you want.

The ByWater Solutions Team has a nice clear video about setting up these
rules (recorded for 21.11, so some things may have changed): see
https://bywatersolutions.com/education/monday-minutes-protecting-marc-fields
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2xDi1K07Qg

There is also a section in the manual about record overlay rules (I've
linked to the latest version, there may be some differences with 22.11):
https://koha-community.org/manual/23.05/en/html/administration.html#record-overlay-rules

Without knowing exactly why you want to stop cataloguers from adding or
modifying the 245 indicators and subfields (I'm assuming MARC21 here), such
as you only want specific cataloguers to edit these subfields, there may be
some other things to consider:
- You can use permissions, so you can remove editing catalog records for
staff users (Patrons > [patron account] > More > Set permissions > Edit
catalog)
- For your frameworks, you could change the visibility of subfields in the
OPAC, staff interface, and editor (Administration > Catalog > MARC
bibliographic) (or remove them from the framework, but removing 245$a
wouldn't make any sense)
- There is probably a report you could create that would identify changes
made to these subfields, and then take corrective action (education about
your cataloguing standards, etc) (I'm not An SQL/Reports person)
- If not enabled, you could enable the CataloguingLog system preference to
record who has made changes, and monitor this

David Nind
New Zealand

PS I've only sent my reply to the General Koha Mailing List.