[Koha] to catalog or not to catalog, that is my question

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Sat Jul 29 08:09:04 NZST 2023

On Jul 26, 2023, at 1:06 PM, Katrin Fischer <katrin.fischer.83 at web.de> wrote:

> there are a lot of libraries with this many and more records using Koha.
> It's usually easier and faster to use the command line script
> bulkmarcimport.pl for loading records during migration. The script can
> load bibliographic and authority records.
>
> For authorities this might have some helpful information:
> https://bywatersolutions.com/education/authorities-town-hall-recap
>
> --
> Katrin

For a good time, I have begun to catalog the .25 million journal articles I have cached via OAI. "Thank you, Katrin!" As of right now, I have only done .008 of them, but oh well. While the process is both iterative and requires practice, it is not onerous:

  1. install and configure Koha
  2. transform rudimentary bibliographic data into MARC
  3. use Koha's bulkmarcimport.pl utility to import MARC
  4. evaluate
  5. go to Step #2

You can play with the 8,000 records at http://catalog.infomotions.com  Here are two example searches: 1) title=marc, and 2) author=kilgour  [1, 2] Currently, my cataloging practice is rudimentary, but I'll get up with some of my colleagues and learn how to create more robust records.

There are two things that are different about this implementation. First, I'm cataloging at the journal article level. Second, I provide links to both the canonical version of the article as well as the cached version. When I'm done, I hope to exploit two cool Koha features: 1) output as OAI-PMH, and 2) query via SRU.

Fun with Koha!

[1] marc - https://bit.ly/3OBX3FC
[2] kilgour - https://bit.ly/452wnTJ

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Navari Family Center for Digital Scholarship