[Koha] Help needed with zombie background_jobs processes

Cindy Murdock Ames cmurdock at ccfls.org
Wed Apr 19 05:13:36 NZST 2023

Hi all,

A couple weekends ago I upgraded our Koha instance from 22.05 to 22.11, and
I'm having trouble with the background_jobs processes becoming zombies
after a very short amount of time, necessitating a reboot.  I suspect it's
a misconfiguration on my part, so if someone can shed some light I'd really
appreciate it!

The first symptom was our MARC imports getting stuck at "import queued",
and after some digging (and thanks to the thread in this list with the
subject of "Background job / Staging MARC import stuck at 0%" I found I was
entirely missing the <message_broker> section in our config, so I added
this:

 <message_broker>
   <hostname>localhost</hostname>
   <port>61613</port>
   <username>guest</username>
   <password>guest</password>
   <vhost></vhost>
 </message_broker>

Which seemed to resolve it, but now I find that the background_jobs
processes are going zombie after processing only a few jobs.  Here's some
info from the rabbitmq log after restarting the server:

=INFO REPORT==== 18-Apr-2023::12:23:46 ===
node           : rabbit at ccflskoha
home dir       : /var/lib/rabbitmq
config file(s) : /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config (not found)
cookie hash    : ojvkUE6eUtku7kHlx3uiFg==
log            : /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at ccflskoha.log
sasl log       : /var/log/rabbitmq/rabbit at ccflskoha-sasl.log
database dir   : /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at ccflskoha

Is it problematic that /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config is missing?  Anything
else I should be looking at?  We're running on Ubuntu SE 18.04 if that is
helpful.

Thanks much!
Cindy