[Koha] Confusion over filtering search results by "current location" of an item

Katrin Fischer katrin.fischer.83 at web.de
Sun Dec 4 12:00:53 NZDT 2022

Hi Chris,

current location refers to items.holdingbranch in your library. The
current location represents the library where the library is currently
at or was checked out last. This is especially important in a
multi-library installation.

Then there is home library, items.homebranch, that represents the
library that owns the item.

Both fields should be set for all of your items in order for Koha to
work correctly. This is also the case, if your installation has only one
library/branch.

See also:
https://koha-community.org/manual/19.11/en/html/cataloging.html?highlight=holdingbranch#item-holdings-record-cataloging-guide

So the problem you see might actually be more of a data issue.

Both, homebranch and holdingbranch, appear on the standard item form as
$a and $b subfields. They are pre-set to the library the staff user is
logged in at. So usually if the framework hasn't been changed, new items
should have them set correctly. Maybe you changed the frameworks for 952
or these items were created in a migration?

Permanent location should actually not show on the items form usually,
so I assume some changes were made to the framework.

Hope this helps,

Katrin