[Koha] Problems with Zebra indexing

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jul 25 23:01:54 NZST 2013

Op 24/07/13 19:59, Coehoorn, Joel schreef:
> Okay, I can /usr/sbin/koha_rebuild_zebra to run if I use the -f switch.
> This makes sense: whatever I did that broke this originally is
> preventing that from seeing incremental changes.

Yes, you'll need -f. I also recommend -v -v to get a bit more noise
about what's happening.

Incremental changes should be updated from a cron job that the packages
install.

> However, this breaks my search again, and there are no results. To get
> search results back, I have to run the rebuild_zebra.pl
> <http://rebuild_zebra.pl> script (I know, I know) with sudo. What could
> be going on here?

By doing a rebuild_zebra with sudo, you've gone and broken your
permissions again, stopping incremental updating from working. So here's
what I'd do:

* shut down anything to do with zebrasrv. 'sudo service koha-common
stop' and some checking with ps to make sure there's nothing still
running. If there is, figure out where it's coming from and kill it.
* delete /var/lock/koha
* delete /var/run/koha
* delete /var/lib/koha
* run 'sudo koha-create-dirs library'
* rebuild everything: 'sudo koha-rebuild-zebra -f -v -v library'
* start up zebrasrv: 'sudo service koha-common start'

I'm not sure why rebuilding with koha-rebuild-zebra would have stopped
search from working. If that happens again, I'd suggest diagnosing it
properly by running zebrasrv from the command line so you get to see all
the information about what it's doing.

Also note that as a result of deleting /var/lib/koha, you'll need to run
'sudo koha-email-enable library' to have email turned back on if you use
that.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.