[Koha] [Koha-devel] Plea for help from Horowhenua Library Trust re: Koha

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 04:53:18 NZDT 2011

Salvete!

> 2011/11/22 Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>:
>>  The truth is that the law isn't really on the Koha community's side
>>  on this issue because of the sale of the domain to Liblime way back when.

    I think it's premature to say that. To my knowledge, this hasn't actually been navigated in court yet. Until our appeals are exhausted, I don't think we should give up. Doing so sends a message that it's okay for a large corporation to shove the public interest about. As far as what is in the name is concerned, it chafes me to see a native term, in especial that one, abused.

    We've already tried the way of the two row wampum. We've already said we'll be over here, you stay over there, and we'll mutually mind our own business. This has not stopped the personal attacks or the corporate ones. If it is a fight they want, then it is a fight they'll get.

> Putting aside the issue of whether we should fight this fight or not,
> the sale of the domain to Liblime has nothing to do with whether PTFS
> should own a trademark on the term Koha in New Zealand. Owning a
> domain name does not give you a trademark on that term.

    *nod* Even at the stage of owning a trademark, one must defend that trademark to retain it. I really do believe that the horse left the stall quite a while back. I'd love to see that tested in court.

> We were naive to let Liblime get a US trademark on Koha in the first
> place. We should not repeat that error.

    I agree, and certainly not in the birthplace of Koha.

Cheers,
Brooke