[Koha] Barcodes - various thoughts and questions

Archives and Collections Society paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Mar 17 03:50:09 NZDT 2011

Now approaching the end of our Koha (3.02.05.000 on Ubuntu 10.10)
implementation of barcodes is the next "problem" to be resolved. There
seems to be very little Koha documentation on the subject and what little
there is either "not to be used", "deprecated" (e.g  hbyymmincr.pm which
looked promising but "This format is deprecated and SHOULD NOT BE USED") or
has been relegated to "dead files" e.g.
<http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Barcode_Prefixes_in_Consortial_Environment_RFC>
is now found in the "Abandoned RFC" part of the Wiki.

There is a default "generated in the form <branch>yymm0001" in admin -> sys
preferences, which is close to what we require (replace "branch" - this
would be a constant without practical value to us - with first four letters
of "call number") but no obvious means of getting there. [Already we have
rewritten callnumber.pl (nonfunctional) as acscallnumber.pl and use it for
the callback on new items set as default through the admin interface Marc
Subfield structure|edit|more constraints|plugin AND have written a separate
perl routine for batch imports.]

We can obviously modify barcode.pl and write a batch import routine, as
this appears to be similar or parallel to the callnumber routines. However,
this requires the 'SHOULD NOT BE USED' module above.

So the questions are:
         - are we missing something?
         - is there some documentation (barcodes in general,
coding|scripting in particular) that someone can kindly point us to?
         - what are the reasons for the various 'deprecated', 'should not
be used', 'abandoned labels'? and what pitfalls are we opening ourselves
to? what are the replacements?

Our thoughts revolve around our overall respect for all the development
that has gone into Koha (thank you all) - it is a remarkable project. But
also around the quasi-total lack of technical documentation. We are still
attempting to map the logic and data flows in the Koha architecture. We are
still struggling with messy implementations of Zebra which has to be
reindexed after every rewrite to koha.db during batch jobs (12,000
operations take 10 hours on fast hardware - but cannot find any
documentation e.g. why the daemon must be replaced by a cron job, which
might be very pertinent) - and we're going to have to do this again for
barcodes.

Any assistance and advice would be appreciated. We (Pete, who also posts
here, and myself) are pretty thick-skinned so please do not hesitate to
tell us that we have missed out on simple solutions.

Thanks and regards,
Paul
Tired old sys-admin

---
Archives and Collections (ACS) Society
205, Main Street, Picton, Ontario, K0K 2T0, Canada
http://www.AandC.org
Canadian Charitable Organization 88721 9921 RR0001
Dedicated to maritime conservation and education.