[Koha] HELP!!! Need RFP specifications

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Mar 4 05:05:13 NZDT 2011

Buster wrote:
> [...] Because of the limitations of our particular jurisdiction, we
> will need to do a Request For Proposals and go through a bidding
> process. My problem is I have been asked to come up with the
> specifications for our RFP and have no clue where to start.

We've bid for a few, but most RFPs are expensive for the buyer to
prepare and both risky and expensive for vendors to answer.  I think
it means libraries would pay inflated prices in a fair market: both
the costs of preparation of both sides in this process, plus a share
of the costs of other unsuccessful proposals made by that vendor.  I
don't understand why anyone would want to buy FOSS that way.

If you evaluate Koha and decide that you want it, could you obtain
multiple quotes for each of Koha and the related services and choose
between offers?  That's a permitted alternative to a full-blown
RFP-by-spec process in some places.

If you must RFP by spec, I've not seen a good Koha-friendly generic
spec yet, so it'll be interesting to see what you find!

Also, there might be a procurement support service near you, similar
to OSS-Watch.ac.uk for UK Higher Ed (although I've not heard of any
library using them to procure Koha yet).

Good luck,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha