[Koha] National Botanic Garden of Wales implements Koha

Kate Jones kate.garnwen at virgin.net
Tue Oct 19 01:07:04 NZDT 2010

*L**ibrary at National Botanic Garden of Wales  successfully implements
Koha*.

(report by Kate Jones, one of the Volunteer Librarians involved in Koha
at the NBGW Library).

Librarians at the *National Botanic Garden of Wales,* chose Koha to
create a catalogue for this new research/reference library, which is
based within the Garden's Research and Conservation group.  This group
is headed by botanist Dr Natasha De Vere.

The process started last year, when our Librarian, Margot Greer, heard
about Koha at a conference.  We then embarked on an evaluation and
testing exercise, with the help of an IT-savvy student - the son of one
of the Library volunteers.  We made the decision to go with Koha, had a
day's training this Spring from Jonathan Field (of PTFS) for three of
our volunteers, then trained a further group of volunteers ourselves and
started to import records from the Library at Kew Gardens, where we had
matching records.  We believe that we were the first library in Wales to
choose Koha.

Why Koha?  We were impressed by its versatility and the fact it was
designed by librarians for librarians.  We like the Open Source
principle... and the fact that it was free was also a factor, as we
operate on a very small budget - indeed our Library is run entirely by
volunteers.

We are lucky to have been able to download records for a significant
proportion of our holdings from the Library at Kew (Royal Botanic
Garden), and were pleased that Koha made this process so
straightforward.  We have succeeded in implementing Koha with minimal
professional IT support, thanks to the enthusiasm of our volunteers.

The project has been led throughout by Margot Greer, a professional
Librarian, now retired and a Volunteer at the Garden.

We are now at the stage of testing our OPAC on the Garden's own staff,
students and volunteers - by 'releasing' it via our own internal network
- prior to going 'live' on the internet in the next few weeks.  Access
will be via the Garden's public website.  The response of staff to the
'test' OPAC has been very enthusiastic.

For more information, please contact the leader of the Library Project,
Margot Greer: library at gardenofwales.org.uk