[Koha] Considering Kaho

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Fri Jun 25 22:41:01 NZST 2010

Hi,

attention the name is Koha (:-->>

At 05.23 25/06/2010, you wrote:
>I'm working with a public library in a midwestern US town of 6000
>people with about 125 library users per day. We have had SirsiDynix
>Unicorn and iBistro for 7+ years.  It has simple become too expensive
>to continue with Sirsi and their service has declined as the price
>has increased over the years.  We have looked at Evergreen and Kaho
>in several site visits and we think Koha would be a great replacement.
>
>I have extensive IT experience (20+ years) in the Windows world in
>both software development and system administration.  I have used
>Macs a great deal over the years and I have used Linux, but not
>seriously managed Linux systems.

In teory the new version 3.2 will have win32 support.
But I'm not sure. I wait the answer of more skilled people.

Koha 3.x is use and work in production on Macs BUT with high use
of command line, without much help of GUI.
In fact if you are skilled with Mac command line, you can use Linux.
The Mac command line is a Unix, like Linux

>Assuming we run it on Linux, what is the preferred distro?  Would a
>2.6 GHz Pentium 4 based Dell 2650 likely be up to the task?  What
>suggestions would you have for disk partitions?

Ram and I/O speed ?
Only 125 loans every day?
In the peak hour how many loans ?
How many bib and hold records insert/update every day ?
The basic suggestion is on partition is "MySQL in one partition,
Zebra in an other partition".
The preferred distro is Debian for Koha.

>  I think we need to stay on
>MySQL v4.1 also.  Still true?  This looks like a good option.

Now we use MySQL 5.x

>Regarding the Sirsi migration, does anyone have any experiences with
>that?   We've had initial conversations with several service
>providers, but money is extremely tight right now and we are
>considering taking a stab at the migration ourselves.  If that fails,
>we can hire someone.  I'll gladly read the full docs before
>proceeding and I'm just looking for big ideas at this point. I think
>we can export Marc8 records from Sirsi and import them into Kaho.  Is
>there much more to the inventory conversion. I've not yet considered
>patron conversion.  Any tips or warnings?

Raed this wiki page about holding in Koha:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Holdings_data_fields_(9xx)

In the past we have a wiki page about a SirsiDynix  conversion.
I try to find it.

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)