[Koha] Koha and Public Access Computers

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Feb 12 11:19:20 NZDT 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Josh Westbrook wrote:

> I apologize for being slightly off topic, but does anyone on the list
> know of any free, inexpensive, or open source tools for managing
> Public Access Computers?  Any that work with Koha to validate patrons?
> We had used Windows SteadyState previously but it won't be developed
> for Windows 7 so we need to move to something else fairly quickly.
> Any help would be appreciated!

there are a _lot_ of tools for managing public computers, but which ones
are useful depends on what you are trying to do.

do you need the machiens to be windows? or is linux an option? (there are
a lot more tools for managing linux systems remotely and in bulk, but
there are tools for both)

are the machines just web kiosks, or do they need to do other functions?

what do you mean when you say 'work with Koha to validate patrons'? do you
mean that the login to the box is the same login as to Koha (and when one
is suspended the other is as well)

David Lang