[Koha] LibLime Thoughts

Christopher Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:03:15 NZST 2010

Hi Kelly,

> LibLime (a division of PTFS) is disappointed to learn that the HLT Koha Committee has chosen to cancel our scheduled conference call.  We thought that we would discuss issues important to the ongoing development of Koha and that we would form a partnership that would permit us to work together globally to build a better open source ILS solution for libraries.

Now we are seeing one of the fundamental problems that has hindered
PTFS from integrating with the Koha community as it should. (I say "as
it should" because there has been involvement which deserves to be
acknowledged.) It seems clear from this statement that PTFS views
itself as somehow on a plane of equality with the Koha community in
terms of authority in the precincts of determining the well-being,
direction, and growth of the project. This is, in fact, not true and
represents a basic misconception of the open source model. Rather PTFS
has the potential to become *one* of many members of the Koha
community each of which has an equal voice in the above mentioned
determinations. So a partnership may be formed only in the sense that
any other member of the Koha community has formed one. You are not in
negotiations with the community for a partnership. The community has
set forth its guidelines for membership. They are long standing. Other
for-profits have entered upon them. PTFS should expect no preferential
treatment.

> LibLime wants to assume the best and understands that the HLT Committee is new to business matters, acquisitions, and financial transactions on the scale required to move the Koha project to the next level.   Perhaps the newness of these experiences has resulted in their one-sided point of view; their conflicting and inaccurate web posts; and their decision to participate in a conference call, only to decline it the next day.

This series of statements seems to assume that there is some sort of
business transaction either proposed or occurring between PTFS and the
Committee. It reveals yet another fundamental problem hindering PTFS
from integrating with the Koha community as it should. We are not here
to be directed by PTFS in "business matters, acquisitions, and
financial transactions" on *any* scale. The community has many members
who are capable of providing such guidance and direction and who have
been doing just that. It is a bit condescending of PTFS to suggest
that this project and community has not and cannot move forward in
these areas without PTFS's guidance.

As an aside: Kelly, I note that you have made several accusations for
which you have provided no supporting evidence. Without addressing the
truth or falsity of your statements regarding the web posts, I would
suggest that you would due yourself a favor by at least citing
examples of what you state. Furthermore, you would help the
community's overall impression of PTFS by including the reasons
expressed by the Committee for concluding that the conference call
would be an unworkable situation rather than stating only half the
truth in an apparent effort to discredit.

> The PTFS acquisition of LibLime will take the Koha project to the next level by utilizing agile software development and systems engineering methodologies.  Working closely with libraries, this effort will result in advancing Koha into the ultimate open source ILS solution.

My plaintext reply will not duplicate the bold type applied to the
word "will" in the above paragraph, however, such accent speaks
volumes. To this we must say, "Ipse dixit." It reveals an underlying
logical fallacy. It remains to be seen what the PTFS acquisition of
LibLIme will ultimately do or not do for the Koha project.

> We will support Koha through the koha.org website and we will continue to work towards our goal of developing and deploying a true next generation system that manages both print and digital collections in a single application.  We are asking for participants from Koha libraries that may want to partner with us to maintain documentation, design new development features, catalog bug issues, and promote Koha successes world-wide.   If you are ready to help build a better Koha please contact ksherman at ptfs.com.

This will no doubt be taken by the Koha community as the final
authoritative word from PTFS on their posture with regard to the Koha
community. It is, in some respects, a relief, albeit quite
disappointing.

Koha is what it is by virtue of community participation. No doubt PTFS
will go on to produce some sort of ILS "foo." However, it will not be
Koha. Koha always has been and always will be the product of the Koha
community, regardless of the direction PTFS takes.

Kind Regards,
Chris