[Koha] Koha migration & subfield problem

Walls, Ian Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 28 03:34:59 NZDT 2009

Amy,

Koha is MARC agnostic on its own; you can adjust your MARC Frameworks to accept repeated subfields as you like.  So, as far as MARC record validity goes, you should be just fine with multiple 952$o.

In my experience, if you supply multiple subfields within a 952, they all get loaded into mapped database field (952$o ->  itemcallnumber in the default framework), separated by " | ", up to the character limit of the field (30 in the case of itemcallnumber).  This would let you cram multiple bits of information into the same field; if you don't like the " | " (and you didn't lose too much info), you could export back to MarcEdit, change the " | " to a more pleasant separator, and re-import.

Another option, depending on your comfort with XSLT, would be to convert your old MARC into MARCXML, run it through a stylesheet that merges the subfields into 952$o, then convert back to MARC.  You can get a little more fine grained control with the logic in MARCXML (not a lot,  but enough).

Hope this helps.

Ian Walls
Systems Integration Librarian
NYU Health Sciences Libraries