[Koha] Koha trademarks

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon May 18 01:55:57 NZST 2009

Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
> 2009/5/12 gsl <gsl at rhcl.org>:
> > Here's a foundation example I was just looking at:
> > http://www.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace-Federation/DSpace-Foundation.html
>
> Another option worthy of discussion is becoming a member of the
> software freedom conservancy
> http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/overview/

I really would prefer Koha to be controlled by a democratic foundation
instead of a self-perpetuating one.  There are risks to democracy, but
at least if it stuffs up, it's the whole community's responsibility.
Both SFC nor DSpace look undemocratic to me, appointing barons for
life to rule over their serf projects.

One democratic multi-project foundation is SPI-inc.org which I've
mentioned before.

An example of a democratic single-project foundation which we could
copy is foundation.gnome.org which I don't think I've mentioned in
email before.

The other aspect I'm pretty keen on is an Asset Lock, like SPI's
Promises on Intellectual Property
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/1998-11-16.iwj.2
- in the UK, this can be enshrined in the incorporation documents, but
I'm not sure whether the US can do that.  Article XVI of the DSpace
bylaws look close, but Article X seems to suggest that all assets can
be distributed as payment, which seems wrong.

Anyway, this is all moot: LibLime are working on something and we're
waiting to see what they propose.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef).  LMS developer and supporter for a small, friendly